Welcoming young refugees to the East Midlands
- What is supported lodgings?
What is supported lodgings?
Most young people aged 16+ are not ready to go out into the world alone without any support, especially in a new environment.
Supported Lodgings Providers offer a room in their home to a young refugee. They also use their life skills and experience to support them with tasks such as cooking a meal, managing their finances, using public transport and planning for the future.
While Supported Lodgings Providers will need to be generally available for the young refugee they are supporting, they can remain in employment.
You will need:
- A spare bedroom in your home
- A general understanding of some of the issues faced by young refugees (training provided)
- Patience and commitment to provide a supportive and safe environment for the young person
You will receive:
- A weekly allowance, per young person, whilst they stay with you
- Access to training
- Ongoing support from your local authority
If you think you could welcome a young refugee into your home and guide them on their journey into independence, then please get in touch.